The ALA receives support from the Australian Government through the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) and is hosted by CSIRO. It is a node of the Global Biodiversity Infrastructure Facility (GBIF).
The ALA is made possible by the large number of data providers and contributors, including natural history collections, universities and research agencies, government departments (national, state and local), as well as non-government agencies and community groups. Contributions include authoritative data for species names and classification, geospatial references, environmental layers, and species occurrence data.
The ALA Advisory Board supports the high-level direction and delivery of the ALA by providing vision, advocacy and advice.
- Chair: Dr Patrick Greene, Chief Executive Officer, Museums Victoria
- Dr Andre Zerger (ex-officio), Director, Atlas of Living Australia
- Hamish Holewa (ex-officio), Chief Operating Officer, Atlas of Living Australia
- Ms Toni Moate (ex-officio), Director, National Collections and Marine Infrastructure, CSIRO
- David Cantrill (ex-officio), Executive Director Science, Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria
- Professor Melodie McGeoch, School of Biological Sciences, Monash University
- Dr Lyndall Ley, Executive Director, Return of Cultural Heritage Project, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Mr Greg Terrill, Assistant Secretary, Environmental Resources Information Network (ERIN), Department of the Environment and Energy
Dr Andre Zerger
Chief Operating Officer